Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Suprise


I have always said that when the time comes that I would be breeding my dear sweet intelligent Boo Bear. I also had plans on picking the "baby daddy" to suit the needs that I was looking for. She has so much talent for herding; which she is meant to do. I have a feeling if I find the right one that her offspring will also be very talented. Last November when she came into heat much to my disappointment I was unable to procure a breeding, I was not in a position to take on such a financial setback with no sure thing, as it being her first breeding I was unsure if she even could, so I decided to hold off a little longer.
Jump ahead a few months, oh say five or so, I started noticing some subtle differences in my girl. She seemed less playful, more grouchy, possessive, and a vacuum. Not things that are normal for her. She also started getting fat, but to be honest living in the trailer in bad weather does lead to a lack of exercise. So I kinda didn't connect the dots. Maybe I should have.
Saturday night we decided to go out for dinner and some fun, before leaving I had made sure that the dogs went out and did their thing, when she came back in I observed her panting, not too normal, I have on occasion gotten the trailer too warm, and as it was on the warmer side in the trailer I again didn't make the connection, so off to dinner we went.
Upon returning to the trailer in the wee hours of Easter morn, the not so boisterous greeting gave me pause of concern, Lestat greeted us as always, but there was no Boo Bear calling again she reluctantly popped her head around the corner, she came out promptly went back to her hiding place, at about that time the unmistakable noise that only newborns make suddenly filled the trailer; OMG suddenly overwhelmed my thoughts, then I was excited to see that my girl was able to let "mommy" instincts take charge. I lost a blanket in the process, but totally worth it. As I pulled back the folds there they were three little ones. She had taken the the blanket off the bed and made sure it was covering the heater vent, to ensure they would stay warm.
While I moved her and the little ones to a better place, my mind raced and quickly connected the dots, yes everything that had changed in her behavior now made since. There on the bed were three boys nosily sucking away, while I sat there observing the motley crew, knowing that my Boo Bear and Lestat had made this bundle of misfits she decided to give me one more this time a little girl. They are all so cute, but unfortunately she didn't give me a perfect litter; two of the pups had deformities, both bizarrely identical. Both had a right front leg that was not right, one of the boys had just a stub and the girl has a skin attachment that prevents her little leg from moving, so the the vet we must go.
It all can't be perfect all the time but despite it all I wouldn't change a thing, a lesson is a fact of life and it always teaches you when you least expect it. I'm unsure of what my lesson is, but I am glad to have healthy happy mommy and babies. Definitely not something soon forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment